Swiss Biobanking Platform (SBP) is an independent association, initiated by the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF) in 2016.
Since September 2019, the new SBP governance structure is in place and defined in the bylaws.
SBP governance is composed of ordinary and expert members from non-profit institutions active in the biobanking field.
The ordinary members constitute the SBP General Assembly.
The expert members, a maximum of three, are individuals highly recognized in various specific biobanking domains.
SBP is proud of its values
SBP’s vision is to foster research by facilitating access and optimal usage to high-quality and harmonized samples.
SBP’s mission is to create a network of biobanks promoting FAIR (findable, accessible, interoperable and reusable) samples.
SBP’s objectives for the period 2021–2024:
- Promoting a quality strategy for biobanks that serve both quality management issues and sample quality.
- Developing guidelines to facilitate access to biobanking samples by establishing a Swiss biospecimen catalogue at the sample level. SBP provides advice in IT systems for quality and networked biobanks.
- Driving the quality management of non-human biobanking activities.
- Consolidating the collaboration with the European networks of biobanks.
- Providing a concept for its sustainable funding.